The Reason We Do This
While Dads in Distress (DIDs) by its very name appears to be focused mainly on supporting men through separation from their partner and/or children, we actually have the health, safety and well-being of ALL the family uppermost in our mind - regardless of culture or creed. As a peer support organisation, we encourage each other to keep in contact with our children no matter how hard that can be. Inevitably those children will want to know their dad. We also encourage men to continue with emotional and financial support of their families for the sake of their children.
- There were 47,638 divorces granted in Australia.
- Divorces involving children represented 47.4% of all divorces granted.
- The number of children involved was 41,747.
- The median age of males and females at divorce was 44.8 and 42.2 respectively.
- 1,901 males and 634 females died by suicide - that’s a total of 2,535.
- Comparatively 1,310 road deaths were recorded that year. Virtually half the suicide rate.
- Suicide was the number one killer of men under 44 years with the highest death rate in the 35-49 years age group.